Little Peanut has arrived

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Concerning Leadership and Prayer

 

Leadership is ultimately about creating a way for people to contribute to making something extraordinary happen. -Alan Keith

I know some people will find what I am about to write controversial. Some people will find it interesting. Others may even find it offensive. I want my readers to know that I only write about what I believe to be truthful.  I write about Jesus Christ because He is The Way, The Truth, and The Light. I write about The Bible because it is the One and Only Truth. What I am about to say here is how I feel based on the teachings of The Holy Bible.

Leaders are to be above reproach, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, gentle, peaceable etc.  according to God’s word.  Now, 1 Timothy 3 is referring to leaders in the church, but what is the difference between a leader in a church or the leader of a country? Absolutely nothing I say. *ahem* 

Our President declared that The White House would not publically participate in The National Day of Prayer (NDOP). NDOP is a day designated by the United States Congress as a day when people are asked to come together and pray, especially for their country.  

The Bush Administration held an inter-faith meeting each year of his presidency in order for people of all faiths to come together and pray in the White House.  He prayed on national television. He may not have been eloquent, but he was bold. President George W. Bush stood up for what he believed. He confessed to be a Christian and he showed it. He didn’t do everything right, no leader will, but he prayed.

Isn’t it strange that Our President who claims to be a Christian did not observe this day publically? Our President claims to understand his family life and the role that prayer plays in it.

Interesting. The Bible also says but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God? Isn’t the same with our country? The United Sates Congress designated a whole day for our leaders and fellow Americans to sit down together and pray for our country. Why does Barack Obama feel he doesn’t need to pray publically to God? 

Barack Obama thought it wise to send out a five minute long Ramadan Blessing “on behalf of the American people” to Muslims. BUT can’t pray to God for our country on our designated National Day of Prayer. Does anyone else find that strange?

I digress.

I Timothy 2:1-4 tells us that we are to pray for kings and all that are in high place. I would say that the presidency is a pretty high place wouldn’t you?

I pray for our leaders every day.  I pray that they will make sound decisions when it comes to the future of this country. I pray that they tell the truth, that they do not become greedy, that no harm is done to them. Yes, I pray for Barack Obama. I pray that he uses discernment, that he walks with God, and that he leads our country in a worthy manner. Even when I don’t agree with him, I pray for him. 

I do not agree with his decision to “tone down” the National Day of Prayer. I do not agree with  a lot of the changes he is trying to make to this country. Yet, I pray for him. Which brings me back to the quote at the very top of this post.  If we want to make extraordinary things happen in this country, we must employ Christian leaders to pray for our country.  Our president should be on his knees publically thanking God for the blessings he has bestowed upon us thus far, and ask that he continue to bless our country.

I am sure that this post will not set well with everyone, but I had to get that off of my chest. I will continue to pray for kings and all who are in high places. I hope you will join me today and everyday in this venture.

chelsisig

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I think the President should be held to high standards, and I was put off by him not participating in the NDOP. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Words of encouragement are always welcome. I will try to encourage you as well!